I’ve been a user of the Tweetbot Twitter client on my iPhone for quite some time and quite frankly I still rate it as one of the best available. In my tweeting lifetime I’ve used Echofon, Osfoora and even Twitter’s official once wonderful now wretched abomination.
But I digress, Tweetbot supports syncing of timelines and direct messages over iCloud meaning that whichever device you pick up to tweet it should remember where you last left off. Not a feature that was of any particular interest to me when I only used Tweetbot on my phone but since I’ve acquired an iPad it is a feature that has been of great interest to me, not to mention a massive source of frustration.
Apparently “it just works”. Unless it doesn’t, in which case… errm it doesn’t. I know this because I’ve Googled my fingertips flat trying to find out what stops it working and discovering that nobody seems to really know. However, if you’re a fellow sufferer, before you proceed I’d advise following this excellent troubleshooting guide from the Tapbots blog.
Anyhow, finally, it’s working (and bloody useful it is too) so here is – to the best of my recollection – the sequence of events that I carried out in my attempt to sort it out once and for all.
- Delete Tweetbot from both iPhone and iPad (and anywhere else you have it installed).
- Delete your Twitter account(s) from iOS
- Hard reset your iOS devices by pressing and holding down the sleep/wake button and the Home buttons at the same time until the device shuts off and the apple logo reappears as it reboots.
- Now log onto the twitter website through a browser and go to your account settings. In your Applications, revoke access to Tweetbot for iOS. You may need to do this for all accounts you use with Tweetbot.
- Re-add your Twttter account(s) to iOS on all of your devices.
- Reinstall Tweetbot on your devices and run the initial setup which should also reauthorise access to twitter.
- Setup your Tweetbot notification preferences on all devices (I got an authorisation error on one device until I completed this step)
- Finally, visit Account Settings in Tweetbot and ensure that iCloud is the selected Sync Service (it should be by default). You can also switch on the Visual Marker from this screen. It’s down to personal taste but I found it useful to indicate things were working. You can always switch it off again once you’re happy all is well.
If working you should now find that if you have both clients open at once and actively use one the other will update and update a few seconds later.
Whether streaming was set on or off made no difference.
Also, now it is working I can confirm that no Tweetbot data is visible in your Settings » iCloud » Storage & Backup » Manage Storage section.
There’s a lot wrong with this approach. It’s a proper blunderbuss technique, it involves the dreaded hard reset which I am not a fan of, there is no way of knowing which step actually solved my problem and there’s no guarantees it’ll work for you. The whole method is a product of frustration and a lack of time to invest into a more detailed and methodical investigation.
How very scientific.